Thursday, November 09, 2006

FIJI - Kitesurfing







Finally arrived to Mana Islanand. No phone no internet (unless paying heavy dollars).

First day - trying to take off on the kite - and success! I did few strights for half an hour.

I brought two german guys with me to watch at me just in case.

After half an hour kite felt into the water and didn't want to take off again. I was around mile or two from shore.

I look at the beach for my rescue/security team - guys are not there.... I swim. I swim. Water is warm.

Sun is very strong. I swim. I have an impression to approach the land but sometimes an impression not to move at all.

The sail is pushing me out of the island. After an hour in water I start to loose the energy.

I even do not think about sharks anymore... There is nobody on the shore. I am exhausted and I consider to cut off the sail

(loose 1000 Euro but save my life ...) and swim with the board to the land. In this moment I heard a boat. A japaneese tourist boat came over.

I played a cool relaxed guy with a smile ... "Hey guys would you give me a lift?" ;-)

They took me to the shore. And what astonished me the most - none of japaneese took a picture. Apparently 1 hour movie of interior of Notre Dame is more intresting

that saving a castaway ;-)

I went up to the place where I left my bag. I found my german collegues trying to hit a coconut so it falls. They've been playing with it for around two hours ....

This is a lesson for a kitesurfer about german quality and japaneese photography ;-)


luckily the nurses were there to support the almost dead man ;-0